Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Green garlic for the impatient gourmet

I planted my garlic in late October of last year and have been eagerly awaiting its harvest ever since. Some gardening websites indicate that fall planted garlic can be harvested in mid-May. It may be due to the lack of nutrients in my plot, but I think my garlic needs another month. However, I did pull one plant last night to taste a bit of "green garlic." A gourmet will tell you that green garlic has a more subtle flavor than regular garlic and that it lends itself to many dishes. The eager harvester, me, enjoys the gratification of pulling out a few plants now for flavoring dishes. I plan to make a green garlic spread on crisp bread and top with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil. I am anxious to taste the green garlic subtleties, but I also think that this confirms my theory that the explosion of baby veggies has as much to do with taste and looks as it does with gardeners wanting to dig up their plants.

You can learn more about green garlic at Gourmet Sleuth

No comments: