Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Easy Chard and Pasta Recipe

After an unfortunate squirrel incident, I only have a few chard plants producing leaves. I supplemented my supply with pickings from my local farmer's market last Saturday and tried the following recipe from PBS's Victory Garen website on Tuesday night with moderal success.

Fettuccine with Swiss Chard, Walnuts and Lemon


The recipe has a good balance of ingredients, but the temperature settings for cooking the chard seemed way off. I think that the recipe asks one to cook the chard on high heat to soften up the chard stems more quickly. I have found it easier to cut out the stems and steam them seperately for 5-10 minutes (depending on the toughness of the stems) and then simply add the softened stems and leaves together in a sautee of olive oil and garlic over medium heat. The greens will wilt quickly event at this lower temperature.

I also added a bit of white wine in place of some of the chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Given the ample nutrients provide by the chard s(see University of Illinois extension), I decided that I had earned it :)

No comments: