Sunday, June 17, 2007

Recipe: Cream of Chard and Beet Greens

With the arrival of fresh garlic in my garden, I find myself sauteing garlic, onions, olive oil and the vegetable du jour every night. Although I could continue this pattern until the garlic runs out, I thought I should try something different. I decided to make a cream of chard and beet green recipe from the common ingredients found in a cream of spinach recipe. It was heavenly.

Recipe
2 Tbsp of butter
2 Tbsp of flour
2 small shallots (courtesy of my garden)
1 cup of skim milk

a big bunch of Swiss chard stemmed
a good handful of baby beet greens
1/8 cup of grated fresh Parmesan cheese

salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste

I simply melted the butter over medium heat and then sauteed the shallots for a minute or two. I then sprinkled in the flour while stirring vigorously with a silicon spatula. Once the mixture was smooth and bubbling, I added the milk and greens. The greens begin to wilt as the milk heats up. I grated the cheese and nutmeg directly onto the mixture when greens the had cooked down and the sauce was thickening.

No comments: