Sunday, June 10, 2007

Garlic, onions, and parlsey oh my

I picked my first bulb of garlic and a handful of small onions yesterday. I am still searching through recipes to find a new a tasty meal with onions, garlic, and parsley, which is the basic foundation of any good meal. The onions are small, but were removed to make room for their neighbors to grow larger. The garlic was a bit lilliputian, but it had broken through the ground and was thus vulnerable to little critters or the covetous hands of someone wandering near my garden. Our community garden does have its fair share of "volunteer harvesters" who come to our garden to do their shopping. Petty garden theft is a somewhat complex issue of food security, the urban environment, and cultural misunderstanding that I will write about later. Let's just say for now that I wouldn't even think of curing my onions in my garden. The technique of drying out the onions by laying them out in the soil for a month at a time would only, in my humble opinion, invite these volunteers to take the onions. No matter, I have found a bit of shade in front of my apartment.

For more information on curing onions, try this resource from the University of Illinois Growing Onions

1 comment:

Christa said...

Hi,
I just found your blog this weekend from a link on another site. I am happy to see another community-garden blogger here in DC! I look forward to reading more about your adventures.