Sunday, June 10, 2007

okra plants, beets, and carrots on their way

I feel as though I have needed to start each post with the phrase "nevermind" as of late. My frustrated attempt to diagnose the barren appearance of a patch of garden that I sowed with beet, carrot, chard, and okra seeds nearly a month ago has filled my blog posts as of late. Yet, I was greeted with dainty okra, beet, and chard seedlings when I arrived at my garden on Friday. This patch had looked like fallow grounds on Wednesday night, but it was now filled with incredibly lovely short rows of budding new plants. The seedlings were exactly where they should have been. I guess my garden is more forgiving than myself. It is clear that more water would have brought me to this happy state sooner, but it came when it needed. The predicted light rains should help these new plants grow taller and stronger

I was so flush with happiness that I called my mother right away to tell her the good news. I began my happy tale with, "so you know how I have been so worried about my seedling that never came." Someday I know I will worry less. There will always be odd years for gardening, rain will come down in heavy down pours, and sometimes it will not come at all. Perhaps reading a year's worth of blogs in which my worries melted with each rain will teach me to be more patient. Right now, I am just so pleased to look at those proud short rows of plants.

No comments: