Sunday, July 1, 2007

Cucumber Mint soup

I have bagged four cucumbers since I came back to DC on Wednesday. My one plant is spreading its vines and sprouting blossoms at a very rapid pace, so I am expecting more soon. Given the plethora of cucumbers coming my way, I was pleasantly surprised to learn how many variations on cucumber soup were flittering out there in the foodie sphere. My first cool cucumber soup of the year comes from the Epicurious recipe below. My neighbor offered some fresh mint to mix as well. I would not have thought to add an egg, ever, to cucumber soup, but it was simply lovely

COLD CUCUMBER SOUP WITH MINT

Gourmet, July 1996 (found with Epicurious)

Some of the comments indicate that the soup needed peppers to add a bit of heat. With homegrown cukes, I think it is best to just keep the recipe as is.

No comments: