Friday, July 27, 2007

My tomato broke in half

When one of my indeterminate tomatoes broke in half the other day , I did feel my heart break a bit as well. For everyone's sake, I am trying to refrain from writing especially cliche titles for my blog posts. Thus, the comparisons between my broken tomato and heart will end here.

However, I do know that I have gone two season with lack luster success keeping my tomatoes from collapsing under their own weight. I used tomato cages last year, and they were pretty much lying horizontal by early October. I staked my tomatoes to three closely stake bamboo poles this spring and pruned excessively. Alas, I still arrived at my garden with my tomatoes and bamboo poles lying horizontal on the ground. It probably does not help that I have a very sandy soil. Not much more needs to be said about sand as a foolish foundation. However, I did find a link to some Master Gardeners in California who went on a quest to find the best wait to keep tomatoes upright and strong.


http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks/tomato_staking.html


I am inspired to try the square wooden cage option. It has the most advantages and is a good excuse to get my own drill :)

1 comment:

skykomie said...

I've done tall (6ft) bamboo teepees, with heavy twine wound around the outside of the teepee, 3 or 4 poles per teepee. this works well for the indeterminates.